If you decide to take a lease of a shop or commercial premises you need good practical advice. If you employ us you can be sure that we will ask all of the questions that need to be asked and we will make sure that there are no nasty surprises waiting for you when you open your doors. That means that you can get on with your business.
The issues that we will deal with include the following:
- Is there insurance on the property and who pays what percentage of the insurance premium?
- Does your landlord have a mortgage on the building?. If so we will insist that his bank gives its consent to the creation of your lease. If consent is not obtained and the Landlord falls into arrears the bank can evict you from the premises. If they consent then they have to honour your lease.
- Is there planning for your proposed use of the building? If there is a material change of use then planning permission will be needed and this should be a matter for your landlord.
- We will examine your landlord's title to make sure that he or she has the right to grant your lease and we will make sure that there are no restrictions on your use of the property.
- We will make sure that there are no arrears of rates or other outgoings. These should be paid in full by your landlord on closing.
- We will advise you on the terms of your lease and in particular on your obligation to carry out repairs to the property. In some cases a tenant will be responsible for internal and external repairs and in other cases the tenant will be responsible for internal repairs only. This will depend on the building and the terms in your lease.
- We will check to see if you are liable to pay VAT on your rent or on the creation of your Lease.
- We will make sure that no notices have been served on the landlord by the local authority that might affect the property.
- If you take a short term lease we will advise you on whether you will have a right to renew your Lease at the end of the term.